Ludwig Mies van der Rohe is one of the
outstanding representatives of the New Building. He achieved legendary fame as the director of the Bauhaus in Berlin and as a teacher
at the IIT in Chicago. The pavilion built at the World Exhibition in Barcelona in 1929 and the Haus Tugendhat in Brno, completed one
year later, became incunabula of Modernism.
Mies van der Rohe’s Pavilion in Barcelona was dismantled at the end of the exhibition and largely underwent accurate reconstruction in 1986 to mark the architect’s 100th birthday. The Haus Tugendhat had largely survived despite seventy years of neglect but it was only in 2010–2012 that it could be meticulously restored to its original state. To mark the reconstruction Klaus Kinold portrayed both buildings in accurate photographs. Wolf Tegethoff and Christoph Hölz outline the construction histories and pursue the question of justification for the reconstruction of modern architecture.
Contributions by Christoph Hölz, Wolf Tegethoff, Photographies by Klaus Kinold
72 pages, 39 illustrations, 4 historical design drawings
12 contemporary floor plans, elevations and sections
21 × 31.5 cm, hardcover with dust jacket